By August 1961, one site had pumps removing 175,000 gallons a day. Some have already been converted to housing ("Spacious marble bath complex, with high ceilings, heavy beams and red cedar 1100 gallon tiled hot tub"). Look here for more general information about Larson Air Force Base. The water in the fuel terminal is only a few feet deep, not that you'd want to fall in it. The depth of the silo was around 105-110 ft. Great writeup and pictures, thanks for posting. His solution: fallout shelters. It really is a claustrophobic nightmare. 4. [2] The Titan was developed in parallel with the Atlas (SM-65/HGM-16) ICBM, serving as a backup with potentially greater capabilities and an incentive for the Atlas contractor to work harder. I would still live in the city grew up in. The silo itself is divided into 2 separate silos. While I was down there I tried not to think about how far I was from the entrance and how much earth was between me and the surface. Standing on the former Titan I missile site, it's not every day you hear about an auction that includes missiles, I'm talking about three Titan I silos that were originally assigned to Ellsworth Air Force Base in the early '60s. Washington. 21M-HGM25A-1-1, Technical Manual, Operation and Organizational Maintenance USAF Model HGM-25A Missile Weapon System, This page was last edited on 27 February 2023, at 04:22. United States Air Force, The T.O. What a neat experience. Below are 13 of my favorite abandoned places across the state. Lately, many have been closed and the . Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 41. I'd hoped to go back one day, but it seems like that's no longer a possibility. Sheehan, Neil 2009, A Fiery Peace in a Cold War Bernard Schriever and the Ultimate Weapon, New York: Vintage Books, 2009, pp. [42] In case of the failure of the guidance system at one site, the guidance system at another site could be used to guide the missiles of the site with the failure. The one that Davenport bought in 2006 for . Titan uhhhnick. State: Washington Very interesting. I need to go to the Titan museum one of these days. Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 36. These doors weigh about 115 tons each! The property includes three 160-foot missile silos and two gigantic domes, each more than 100 feet across. HGM-25A Titan I ICBM 1961-1965 Operated three missile sites: (1 August 1960-25 June 1965) 725-A, 14 miles SE of Watkins, Colorado 393515N 1042742W 725-B, 4 miles NNE of Deer Trail, Colorado 39 . Thank you! (stg. Total production missiles built: 163 Titan 1s; 62 R&D Missiles 49 launched & 101 Strategic Missiles (SMs) 17 launched. I could only snap a few shots before my fingers became too numb to work the camera and I had to retreat to the car to warm the feeling back into them. Rapid launching was crucial to avoid possible destruction by incoming missiles. Very Private. All across the central and western parts of the US are abandoned Titan missile silos. The airframe contractor also would assemble the sub-systems provided by other Air Force contractors. (stg. Originally designed as a backup in case the U.S. Air Force's SM-65 Atlas missile development ran into problems, the Titan was ultimately beaten into service by Atlas. Previous . I was lucky to see it once, and was lucky I came the second time when he was already out, or I'd have a mark on my record now.By the way, fantastic walkthrough. Photo, Print, Drawing Site plan and floor plan - Titan One Missile Complex 2A, .3 miles west of 129 Road and 1.5 miles north of County Line Road, Aurora, Adams County, CO Drawings from Survey HAER CO-89 Back to Search Results About this Item. One of the nation's aged Titan II intercontinental ballistic missiles developed a leak early yesterday morning, sending a red plume of poisonous propellant fuel into the Kansas sky . Here are some maps showing the locations of U.S. Minuteman III ICBM silo's along with coordinates. The fact that Titan I, like Atlas, burned Rocket Propellant 1 (RP-1) and liquid oxygen (LOX) meant that the oxidizer had to be loaded onto the missile just before launch from an underground storage tank, and the missile raised above ground on the enormous elevator system, exposing the missile for some time before launch. Green, Warren E.. Latitude: 46 54.9973333333333 I saw a 9 news article that says 30 people have been arrested there in one month in 2016. These abandoned military bases housed some of the most devastating nuclear weapons ever built during the cold war. May 19, 1883 . . Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 17. (acq. )I'll also mention that the dust collector system was primarily meant for use IF there was a nearby nuclear detonation. Its on purpose). Have you published it yet? 2 Cold War-era nuclear missile silos that sat abandoned for decades went on sale in Arizona for $495,000 each. Clemmer, Wilbur E..1966, Phase-Out of the Atlas E and F and Titan I Weapon Systems, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Historical Research Division Air Force Logistics Command, 1962, p. 49. Though the SM-68A was operational for only three years, it spawned numerous follow-on models that were a part of the U.S. arsenal and space launch capability. It encompassed all of the equipment and even the bases for the Titan I strategic missile. Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 91. Incredible Decommissioned Titan-1 Missile complex includes three 160' missile silos, 125' diameter Power Dome, 3 Fuel Terminal Buildings, 3 Four-story Equipment Buildings, 60' diameter Air Intake Building, 40' diameter Air . . I did see somewhere 724-C finally sold at auction but i cant find the webpage anymore, here is a link to a website from a radio station in the area https://big979.iheart.com/content/2019-04-25-you-can-now-own-a-creepy-colorado-missile-silo/ as you can see 724-C is still in great shape. More than 600,000 cubic yards of earth was excavated. Nine Titan I silos split between three sites (3 x 3) at Odessa, Warden, and Quincy would be built along with support facilities at Larson AFB. [1] The committee presented to the United States Air Force (USAF) their findings of the technical feasibility to develop weapons (bombs) and their delivery systems (intercontinental range ballistic missiles) that were completely invulnerable to "surprise" attack. Either somebody threw a ridiculous party there, someone got hurt and tried to sue, or the traffic really did just become unbearable. [56], The launch crew was composed of a missile combat crew commander, missile launch officer (MLO), guidance electronics officer (GEO), ballistic missile analyst technician (BMAT), and two electrical power production technicians (EPPT). The MIRACL Near Infrared Laser, at White Sands Missile Range, NM was fired at a stationary Titan I second stage that was fixed to the ground. Looks very dangerous! They're giant concrete stacks sticking out of the ground less than 100 feet from the access portal. Cryogenic liquid oxygen oxidizer had to be pumped aboard the missile just before launch, and complex equipment was required to store and move this liquid. Squadron: 568th SMS The Atlas missile had all three of its main rocket engines ignited at launch (two were jettisoned during flight) due to concerns about igniting rocket engines at high altitude and maintaining combustion stability. Looking down the silo from the launcher elevator motor platform. That must have been an incredibly interesting place to work. [25], The next launch at the end of the month (Missile J-4) suffered premature first stage shutdown and landed far short of its planned impact point. Bunker located under house. Into putting up the money for opening it. Having spoken with quite a few retired missile site personnel, most of them were well aware that they'd probably be vaporized in the event of a nuclear war, despite the military continually trying to sell the "surviving underground" thing. The squadron was deactivated 2 months later on March 25th. Thanks for commenting. They I went to yahoo. Ken Wood and Jim Sullivan,Do you guys know the property owners and if they will call the police if we try to get into the silo?? By the time I looked into this place. I have SEVERE claustrophobia and found myself at times a bit panicked just from your extraordinary photographs! Would really appreciate it. Sutton, George P, History of Liquid Propellent Rocket Engines, Reston Virginia: American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2006, Hansen, Chuck, Swords of Armageddon, 1995, Chukelea Publications, Sunnyvale, California, page Volume VII Page 290-293. After it's renovated with houses in all access points above ground. Subsequent contracts for such components as the propellant loading system (PLS) were let by the Omaha District office. The launch silo would be to through the tunnel on the right. Then I said now that gives me an idear(I know its misspelled. I take as many safety precautions as I can, and if anything terrible should ever happen to me, at least I'll have died doing what I love most. Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. vi. The added stress of this operation apparently resulted in a failure of either the gas generator or turbopump, as the vernier solo phase ended prematurely. I made a few corrections based on the information your provided. Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 3. I sure got my exercise exploring that place. I went SCUBA diving in one of these a few years back, in Royal City, WA. Built on 11 acres of land . The missile was released 3.9 seconds earlier than intended before it had built up sufficient thrust. I went with 4 buddies of mine an explored it during the first week of June, 2018. First, the missiles took about 15 minutes to fuel, and then, one at a time, had to be lifted to the surface on elevators for launching and guidance, which slowed their reaction time. you could live in the bottom of one of the 155' tall MISSILE SILOS and retrofit the 150 ton SILO DOORS so you could push a button and open them up - 155' above the floor!! Stumpf, David K., Titan II, p 22-26, The University of Arkansas Press, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 2000. According to Wallin, this site can withstand and survive any nuclear blast. [30], Twelve more Titan Is were flown in 196365, with the finale being Missile SM-33, flown on 5 March 1965. List of all Titan I site Coordinates, 30th LRS air terminal: a small shop with large responsibilities - Santa Maria Times (subscription), U.S. Senate OKs amendment requiring annual missile defense tests - Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, US missile site in Ravenna to get first public airing - Akron Beacon Journal, Pentagon Launches Test Missile from Vandenberg - NBC 7 San Diego, Law Enforcement Torch Run crosses VAFB - Santa Maria Times (subscription), Iridium's SpaceX launch slowed by Vandenberg bottleneck - SpaceNews, US Air Force test-launches Minuteman missile from Vandenberg Air Force Base - LA Daily News, Missile-Defense Interceptor Flies From Vandenberg Air Force Base - Noozhawk, Seven detained at Vandenberg missile protest - Santa Maria Sun, L-3 Wins Consolidated Air Force Satellite Control Network Contract - Signal Magazine, Final Titan Rocket Launch Ends an Era (10/20/2005), Peacekeeper nuclear missile officially deactivated (9/20/2005), Blue Origin rocket plans detailed (6/13/2005). Pictures are great! Just like last time, I parked about 3/4 of a mile away from the entrance to avoid being seen by the property owner. It was still very awesome when I was there, but abandoned places are always more interesting when artifacts are still lying around. I worked at the sites east of Larson AFB in WA during installation and checkout hard to believe the complete degradation of what is left at the complex you photographed. [23] On 1 July, the newly opened LC-20 hosted its first launch when Missile J-2, an operational prototype, was flown. [16] However, the Sputnik crisis, which started 5 October 1957, ended any talk of canceling Titan. Should have walked in on foot at night. Coordinates: 6 acres. Missile J-6 on 24 October set a record by flying 6100 miles. I was told that if you park in front of his house and then knock on the door he will show you maps of the silo, give you a place to park, show you how to get in, and might even give you some extra masks and flashlights. [21], On 12 December 1959, the second attempt to launch a complete Titan (Missile C-2) took place at LC-16. Colonel George W.1962 Lowry Area History 29 September 1958 December 1961, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Ballistic Missile Construction Office (CEBMCO), 1962, pg. The second stage was pressurized with nitrogen gas to 60-psi and did not contain any fuel or oxidizer. This is a collection of the Titan I missile silo locations outside of Denver, CO. Of the missiles produced, 49 launched and two exploded: six A-types (four launched), seven B-types (two launched), six C-types (five launched), ten G-types (seven launched), 22 J-types (22 launched), four V-types (four launched), and seven M-types (seven launched). (stg 1 mated to stg 1 below), SM-?? It would be a shame to lose the fruits of his labor. The guidance radar fed missile position data to the AN/GSK-1 (Univac Athena) missile guidance computer in the Launch Control Center. [20][30], With attention shifting to the Titan II, there were only six Titan I flights during 1962, with one failure, when Missile SM-4 (21 January) experienced an electrical short in the second stage hydraulic actuator, which gimbaled hard left at T+98 seconds. Often quite a bit of work. It would be a wonderful place for my family. We are your exclusive source to dive the abandoned Titan I ICBM complex near Royal City, WA. The flat, wide-open spaces of Eastern and Central Washington were also appealing, making missiles easier to launch. Even started to so some renovations on it. Not sure if he's still alive or not, but he was an old curmudgeon who was known for having some screws loose.) The Titan I sites were under the command of six different strategic missile squadrons (568 th, 569 th, 724 th, 725 th, 850 th, and 851 st) and constructed in Air Force bases throughout California, Colorado, Idaho, South Dakota, and Washington. One site in Washington state had a giant hole cut in the power dome to remove the generators by crane; in the late 90's or early 2000's, a teenager died when he decided to rappel into that dome and somehow fell from his rope. A missile silo in Abilene, Kansas, used to store and launch ballistic missiles in the 1960s, is on sale for $380,000. Deep beneath the plains of Deer Trail, Colorado lies a hidden system of tunnels that once housed instruments of nuclear annihilation. Nearest Town: Warden To get into one of the silos we had to squeeze through a hole into an elevator shaft underwater, which was a tight fit and just about required somebody pulling and pushing you. It would be bought, sold & renovated. I've had no choice but to go alone to most of the places I've explored. It housed a total of 12 different missile locations around Altus Air Force Base - 11 in Oklahoma and one in Texas. Here are some great pictures of 568-A https://www.airforcebase.net/trips/titan/titan.html scroll down to(Larson Air Force Missile Site #1 (568-A) WA) Finding this website was a surprise because i was totally obsessed with titan 1 and 2s for years and thought i had seen everything out on the net. [60] The sites also had to be close enough that if a site's guidance system failed it could "handover" its missiles to another site of the squadron.[61][62]. The second attempt at a Lot C Titan failed at T+52 seconds when the guidance compartment collapsed, causing the RVX-3 reentry vehicle to separate. It's a shame the place has become off-limits. One of the umbilicals was prematurely jerked free as the missile lifted, another umbilical sent an automatic cutoff command, and the Titan fell back onto the pad and exploded, causing extensive damage to LC-19. United States. Exploration finds a way. The Cold War Era drove a need to maintain missile sites around the country. Explored this Aug 2019 and it was still accessible. The burning remains of the Titan impacted 300 meters from the pad in an enormous fireball. The Titan 1 was controlled by an autopilot which was informed of the missile's attitude by a rate gyro assembly consisting of 3 gyroscopes. . An explosion that lit up the night sky like daylight destroyed an underground Titan II missile silo here early today, killing one airman, injuring at least 21 . By Alyssa Donovan. Lots of memories of Deer Trail and the missile site. If I ever get a chance to visit again, I'm going to bring a lot more lighting so I can actually get a picture of the inside of the launcher silos. Morris was one of the first female crew commanders of a Titan 2 nuclear missile silo. Titan missile base for sale (Google Maps). While in operation, these missile sites were manned by the US Air Force 24 hours day/365 days a year. The remaining 50 missiles were scrapped at Mira Loma AFS near San Bernardino, CA; the last was broken up in 1972, in accordance with the SALT-I Treaty of 1 February 1972. These former Cold War Nuclear Complexes are both private and publicly owned and are located at the "former Lowry Bombing and Gunnery Range (FLBGR) east of Aurora, north of the town of Deer Trail, and south . Missile M-6's second stage failed to start when an electrical relay malfunctioned and reset the ignition timer. Legal 2 bd. Stumpf, David K., Titan II, p 276, The University of Arkansas Press, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 2000, Stumpf, David K., Titan II, p 277, The University of Arkansas Press, Fayetteville, Arkansas, 2000. Send me a message on Google+, Instagram, or Facebook. The 98-foot-long, two-stage missile was fueled by kerosene (RP-1 fuel) and liquid oxygen, and was designed to carry nuclear warheads.". The man got all huffy at me, and I deleted his post and banned him. Just a thought of a way into the others. The intercontinental ballistic missiles served as a warning to the Soviet Union that any attack on the United States would bring about its destruction. Worked in the powerhouse. All need some work. It was designed as a virtual underground city with independent power, water, sewer, kitchen, bathrooms, sleeping quarters, and . [52] The decision was made to deploy Titan squadrons in a "hardened" 3 X 3 (three sites with one control center and three silos each) to reduce the number of guidance systems required. I referenced photos like yours for my fiction novel The Last Of The Titans. [54] . Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 37. He's not going to scour the insides for people, he probably just checks for cars then calls the police. Guidance input/output between the guidance radar and guidance computer occurred 10 times a second. However, the Titan exploded almost as soon as it was released by the launcher mechanism. ;-). Vertical, SM-?? The silo itself is approximately 55 feet in diameter and 150 feet underground. United States Air Force, The T.O. Searched found a website. only an hour from Spokane WA., 3 hours and 15 minutes from Seattle, and 10 minutes from I-90. The first successful launch was on 5 February 1959 with Titan I A3, and the last test flight was on 29 January 1962 with Titan I M7. It's hard to imagine the silo wasn't always covered by bars. One of my friends just took a trip to the silo and said that entrance is still possible and he successfully explored it with no trespassing tickets. I absolutely love this place. In order to complete each facility, 32,000 cubic yards of concrete, 300 tons of piping, 90 miles of cables and 1,800 separate supply items were needed per complex. The inertial guidance system originally intended for the missile was instead eventually deployed in the Atlas E and F missiles. From 1962-1965, the 577th Strategic Missile Squadron was based at Altus Air Force Base in Altus, Oklahoma. Missile silos. Awesome to see it's still possible. Has someone held onto the documents since his passing? Spokane, Washington Est. [67][68] When the missile was launched, the guidance radar tracked the missile and supplied precise velocity range and azimuth data to the guidance computer, which then generated guidance corrections that were transmitted to the missile. Somebody said here a while back, it could be a nice spot for a Sturgis rally campground," Bertolotto said. Construction on the complexes began Jan. 22, 1960. It does not surprise me that the ventilation system was not marked on the diagram. Here we are the craziest dive of my career so far: Missile Silo Diving the Titan 1 complex in Washington State! The early results of missile configuration studies conducted by Lockheed, the Glenn L. Martin Company, and the newly formed Guided Missile Research Division (GMRD) of Ramo-Wooldridge, supported by other Air Force studies, indicated the numerous advantages of a two . (stg. In its brief career, a total of six USAF squadrons were equipped with the Titan I missile. (stg 1 mated to stg 1 below), SM-?? The blast was so violent that it ejected a service tower from inside the silo and launched it some distance into the air before coming back down. 1 only) Science Museum, Bayamon, Puerto Rico (top half from Bell's Junkyard) Vert. Nearly 60 years ago, the land was run by a different mindset. Thanks, Jake! Missille Silos. On 8 febrer, 2022 8 febrer, 2022 by savaniee ravindrra husband on . Two of the four firms which responded, Martin and Avco, proposed using Titan I as the booster.[80][81]. Sadly, this one is off-limits now. It truly was one of the most interesting places I've explored so far. [49] There were 59 XSM-68 Titan Is manufactured I in 7 developmental lots. [37] Less than a year later the Air Force considered deploying the Titan I with an all-inertial guidance system but that change never occurred. Chuck Hill again. SPOKANE Back in 1961 the U.S. Air Force, without any attempt at secrecy or stealth, hauled nine long-range ballistic missiles by truck . One site in Washington state had a giant hole cut in the power dome to remove the generators by crane; in the late 90's or early 2000's, a . I've only been the one time, but I'd love to go back. I think the trotting park would be okay to explore alone but that's nuts to go into the TITAN alone. It's been so long I forgot where it was. That sounds fascinating! Former Titan I Missile Complex with the 568th Strategic Missile Squadron, Read about the Titan I at Larson AFB Simpson, Col. Charlie, LOX and RP-1 Fire Waiting to Happen, Brekenridge, Colorado: Association of Air Force Missileers, Volume 14, Number 3 2006, p. 1. Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 96. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Allen Pollard/Released), A photo of what used to be the 851st Strategic Missile Squadron, Titan 1 Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Complex 4C tunnels at Chico, Calif., May 23, 2013. Hoselton, Gary A., Titan I Guidance System, Brekenridge, Colorado: Association of Air Force Missileers, Volume 6, Number 1, March, 1998, p. 6. Pages. One was used as a control room, the other for generating power. Spent about an hour exploring only the power house and surrounding tunnels but had to leave when we encountered a group of 15 highschoolers. I have heard conflicting reports on the internet of whether or not you can. If I ever get a lot of money a lot more then what this is worth. Date Deactivated: March 25th 1965 We done a lot of target practice out there on the surface and we would explore the tunnels while we were out there. I went on December 30th with 7 guys this time instead of 4. The property includes 16 buildings, 3 160' tall missile silos, 3 four story equipment terminal buildings, 2 . 233234. Royal City, Washington. I bet you have some great stories from you time there. By 1:10 p.m. 53 were dead. Sheehan, Neil, A Fiery Peace in a Cold War: Bernard Schriever and the Ultimate Weapon. New York: Random House. Clean up and renovation too. What state has the most nuclear silos? Green, Warren E., The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 24, Spirres, David 2012, On Alert An Operational History of the United States Air Force Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Program, 1945-2011, Air Force Space Command, United States Air Force, Colorado Springs, Colorado, 2012, p. 97. Easy 4.2 (111) Missile Silo Park. 21M-HGM25A-1-1 Technical Manual Operation and Organizational Maintenance HGM-25A Missile Weapon System, United States Air Force, 1964, page 6-1. People from both coasts came to bid on the former Titan I missile site. [8] In response, the Teapot Committee was tasked with evaluating requirements for ballistic missiles and methods of accelerating their development. On 5 February, LC-16 returned to action by hosting Missile C-4. I'm always looking for adventures, and live in the four corners area. I would love to hire you on as a expert in Titan 1 silo complex's so that everything is how it should be. 701-335-6525 . Image; Image. United States Air Force, The T.O. That must have been such interesting work! Staging was performed successfully, but the second stage engine failed to start. Because of this, the complex could only launch and track one missile at a time, although another could be elevated while the first was being guided. The silo has been decommissioned, but it was once the home of the titan ii, which was the largest intercontinental ballistic missile in the air. A follow-up test 6 days later was conducted on a scrapped Thor IRBM, its remnants reside at the SLC-10 Museum at Vandenberg AFB. Answer (1 of 19): Used to be in the middle of the countrywhere they were safer from sneak attacks. The USAF removed equipment it had uses for, the rest was offered to other government agencies. I was thinking it was really weird then my girlfriend looked up the area where we were and sure enough we were on top of an old missile. One of the most fascinating sites I've ever visited. Frig I could never have done this alone! Like I said before, if you park far enough away from the silo to not be seen and if you're quiet on the walk in, there is little risk of being caught. The Air Force's goal in launching the Titan program was twofold: one, to serve as a backup should Atlas fail; and two, to develop a large, two-stage missile with a longer range . Thanks, Mary! Green Warren E..1962, The Development of the SM-68 Titan, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base: Air Force Systems Command, 1962, AFSC Historical Publications Series 62-23-1, p. 85. The Martin Marietta SM-68A/HGM-25A Titan I was the United States' first multistage intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), in use from 1959 until 1962. Walker, Chuck Atlas The Ultimate Weapon, Burlington Canada: Apogee Books, 2005. This one although it has been for sale for a long time i think the Hotchkiss family still owns it. I have always been a fan of exploring abandoned cave mines and buildings, and think this would be a good one. Leave11 Company, F.E. Going once, going twice, sold, it's not often you hear about an auction that includes a bit of missile history. While decommissioned Atlas (and later Titan II) missiles were recycled and utilized for space launches, the Titan I inventory were stored and eventually scrapped. It was to YouTube. "[4] Titan I's second-stage engines were reliable enough to be ignited at altitude, after separation from the first stage booster. Cops didn't give us a ticket! [76], Most of the ATHENA guidance computers were given to universities. Do you know if it is still possible to get under? I didn't explore to this depth and wish I had, but I can explore vicariously :). 1960s Horizontal, SM-81 61-4508 Kansas Cosmosphere, Hutchinson, Kansas. (KOTA) By Sunday Miller. I assume it's completely cut off now at this point ? There could be a number of electricians, plumbers, power production technicians, air conditioning technicians, and other specialist when maintenance was being performed. The gap between the bars and the dirt ground is only about 10 inches and the hardest part of getting through is your legs because if you go face up underneath, your legs end up being straight as they go through which places lots of stress on your knees if you're a bigger person. In hindsight, the rush to get the project completed caused workers and supervisors to forsake prudent measures. 21M-HGM25A-1-1 Technical Manual Operation and Organizational Maintenance HGM-25A Missile Weapon System, United States Air Force, 1964, Pg 1-9, United States Air Force, The T.O. [15] Counterarguments that the Titan offered greater performance and growth potential than the Atlas as a missile and space launch vehicle,[15] the Titan program was under constant budgetary pressure. [69][70], The final launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base (VAFB) occurred on 5 March 1965. Young Construction Company, and Morrison-Knudsen Company, Incorporated. The last thing the guidance system did was to determine if the missile was on the right trajectory and pre-arm the warhead which then separated from the second stage.