Currently, the Sheriff's Office has 586 full-time sworn staff. The incidents are listed only after officers have left the scene, however, and do not show the exact locations of the calls.Communities of colorEquity "is the primary issue of this election carrying the momentum of the last two years where we have done so much around race and equality," Jonsen said.His department began recording hate incidents after local hate crimes and incidents increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. Calls friendship with Christopher Schumb a fatal conflict that cannot be ignored and impediment to fair trial. It quickly became apparent that when I took over the position that (Jensen) was still kind of the go-between between the sheriff and myself. With election day less than a week away, the Santa Clara County Sheriff's race is down to two candidates: Bob Jonsen and Kevin Jensen. Can the candidates straighten out the sheriff's office, restore the public's confidence in its transparency and accountability and reform its jail system? In fact, none of the PIOs who testified ever recalled actually witnessing Smith sign one. Allen said he would work to create a culture in which anyone in the sheriff's office could come forward to report misconduct without fear of retaliation. Allen, 51, is a 32-year veteran and sergeant of the sheriff's office. Russell Davis said. She would retrain more deputies who are on patrol in these skills and add more mental health services onto PERT teams. Three of Jensens PIO successors prepared the permits for approval at their desks, just a few yards from Smiths own office in the sheriffs Younger Avenue headquarters. There's already a common practice in law enforcement to switch to a different channel for private conversations. "For 27 years, I worked for a sheriff's organization. His department began recording hate incidents after local hate crimes and incidents increased during the COVID-19 pandemic. Jensen said reform depends on the right leadership.He would increase contracts with service providers and faith-based organizations to provide mental health assistance.He said he would also work to break the cycle of fear and intimidation in the jail, where inmates have created a self-governance culture. [5] Two more inmates escaped from custody in Palo Alto in November 2017.[6]. Sussman says the Fentanyl Working Group has made strides in reactionary measures like having Narcan more readily available. Nagaye said she believes in de-escalation techniques and training deputies to talk people in crisis down. The fifth candidate, Ahn Colton, 48, lists herself as a mother. As a sergeant in the jails, he has trained officers in de-escalation techniques to better handle inmates in crisis. I'm not above anything. "A lot of people are duck-and-cover and think they have to be blindly loyal to get ahead," he said. Shes an avid lover of golden retrievers and Rocky Road ice cream. I understand the complexities," he said.He is the only candidate who has been at the helm of a law-enforcement agency, he noted.Some of his initiatives in Palo Alto include forming a community advisory committee, which helped inform his relationship with residents and to understand their concerns. He has been married to mixed-race women who were from white, Asian and Hispanic backgrounds. I'm a veteran, a woman and I married a man of color and I'm a LGBTQ ally. According to Cooks, applications from prosecutors, judges, elected officials, San Jose Sharks players and other VIPs typically came through Capt. Follow Mountain View Voice Online on Twitter @mvvoice, Facebook and on Instagram @mvvoice for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more. "For 27 years, I worked for a sheriff's organization. Instead, he chose a career in law enforcement so he could institute reforms while keeping the public safe, he said. Encryption of police-scanner communications. I've had a really well-rounded career," he said, noting he was also assistant chief of the Department of Corrections running the jail before it was taken over by Smith. On July 20the first day of criminal grand jury proceedings to hear evidence in what Santa Clara County DA Jeff Rosen believes was a bribery conspiracyDeputy District Attorney Matt Braker had just finished laying out the prosecutions theories when he called first witness to the stand: Sgt. to avoid being attacked, she said. I'm not above anything. SAN JOSE, CA - AUGUST 31: Santa Clara County Sheriff's Captain James Jensen is photographed outside of the Hall of Justice on Monday, Aug. 31, 2020, in San Jose, Calif. Jensen was arraigned. Become a Member The former UFC heavyweight champion is being held at the Santa Clara County Jail. Nagaye said she would invest in much more training and in a training unit. She now faces potential removal from office after being accused by a civil grand jury of corrupt misconduct. Under Smith, deputies murdered a mentally ill inmate, and others in custody have been injured, costing the county millions of dollars in settlements. Become a member today. While she fights the charges against her, Smith, 69, has decided not to run for reelection in the 2022 race after 24 years at the helm. TownSquare When people can't get information from the news and the sheriff is not responsive, it creates distrust in the community, she said. Back-room beatings make people afraid to go against the shot-callers, he said. We can do training and have verbal discussions. San Jose Inside (https://www.sanjoseinside.com) In Alameda, Contra Costa and San Mateo counties, the sheriffs offices grant the permits at twice the rate of Santa Clara County and typically have twice as many active licenses at any given moment. As sheriff, he said, he would continue community policing and engage in outreach to help all areas of the community. Santa Clara County leaders on the Fentanyl Working Group, like Santa Clara County Addiction Medicine and Family Medicine's Dr. Rachel Sussman, agrees, especially when it comes to youth drug use. I was essentially doing clerical work.. But Jensen faces several felony counts of conspiracy, bribery and falsification of records in a case that has also ensnared attorneys Christopher Schumb, Harpaul Nahal, gun manufacturer Michael Nichols and former AS Solution CEO Christian West. Personal attorneys for Smith and Sung have said their clients have no culpability in the indicted crimes. Santa Clara County Office of the Sheriff 3 years 10 months Public Information Officer (PIO) Apr 2021 - Present1 year 2 months Deputy Sheriff Aug 2018 - Apr 20212 years 9 months Office. From day one, I would be handing over all documents to the Board of Supervisors and (Independent Police Auditor) Michael Gennaco that they have asked for. As the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office remains embroiled in controversy over alleged corruption and mismanagement, five candidates vying for Sheriff Laurie Smith's seat will be tasked with proving they can restore public confidence in the law enforcement agency. Follow. He is a former Santa Clara County Correctional Peace Officers' Association board member and a lifelong martial artist and instructor. I can bring together diverse groups of people. Jonsen moved north to become Menlo Park's police chief in 2013, and then he became Palo Alto's chief in 2018. Christine Nagaye A reformer who supports 'full transparency'. Meanwhile, CCW permits fell to the agencys public information office, which suggests that the service was viewed under the purview of community relations. If we don't have a seat at the table, we don't deserve the trust," he said. He would support deputizing mental health professionals to work in the jails. In early 2022, Smith retired while under grand jury corruption charges and after a unanimous vote of no confidence by the county Board of Supervisors. "Unfortunately, three of the victims inside the house were pronounced deceased at the scene. Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office | San Jose CA The agency has been stingy with the privilege about 150 permits were issued or renewed between 2014 and 2019, out of over 750 applications. Thursday, Judge Eric Geffon rejected a defense motion to disqualify District Attorney Jeff Rosen based on his past friendship with and fundraising support from Schumb. Among the apparent beneficiaries of that privilege was County Supervisor Mike Wasserman. Smith, who announced her retirement on Monday while the jury was deliberating, faced the charges in a civil trial that had been filed by a Santa County Civil Grand Jury in December. From day one, I would be handing over all documents to the Board of Supervisors and (Independent Police Auditor) Michael Gennaco that they have asked for. Early life and education [ edit] There are other ways to protect confidential information. The gregarious former public information officer rapidly climbed the ranks from sergeant to lieutenant to captain as he became the offices portal for political patronage. The sheriff has come under attack after allegations of abuse and mismanagement in the countys jails. Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith's election in 1998 as California's first female sheriff signaled the end of the good old boys' network, at least as appearances go. She enlisted in the U.S. Army at 19, became a medic and served five years of active duty. In 2015, the average daily population for the Santa Clara County Correctional facilities was . He wouldn't tolerate misconduct among any personnel, regardless of rank. She also supports the Psychiatric Emergency Response Teams (PERT). If you're on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live, A look at the best video roundup of snow falling across California, Has CA hit the all-time state snow record? "I know where the bad apples are. Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith speaks during a news conference May 26. "Don't be afraid to bring someone else in," she said, to help de-escalate or assess the situation. If the board of supervisors says 'Why are you doing this?' Santa Clara County voters will choose between five candidates for sheriff in the June 2022 primary election. A sheriff's captain was among four people indicted by a grand jury on felony bribery and conspiracy charges as part of an election campaign scandal tied to Santa Clara County Sheriff. Leading with integrity is the biggest thing. Her father-in-law doesn't know if he will be targeted when he goes out. Lets see what the truth is.. Jonsen has been criticized, however, for a lack of transparency, including his January 2021 decision to encrypt all police radio communications, without warning, which prevents the media and other members of the public from monitoring and independently verifying incidents and police activity. Twitter Facebook. We're not adequately trained to provide long-term care for people," he said. Advertising Info She would also make sure that all officers rotate among enforcement and custody positions so they have a well-rounded view of inmates and a broad range of experiences. The police auditor now reviews supervisory inquiry investigations, internal employee complaints of discrimination, harassment or retaliation and any use-of-force investigation where a baton, chemical agent, Taser, less-lethal projectile, canine or firearm is used, or when a subject's injuries as a result of a police use of force require treatment beyond minor medical care in the field, his website noted.Encryption of police-scanner communicationsJonsen notes that after fully encrypting radio communications, his department launched a "Calls for Service" interactive map that shows incidents to which officers have responded in the past 24 hours. Endorsements: Police chiefs and top law enforcement including those in Los Altos and Menlo Park; multiple members of Jonsen's community advisory group, among others. Hernandez is a three-time Society of Professional Journalists award winner and her biggest passion is long-form investigative reporting. Checking all three boxes gets a permit seeker to the next stage, a background check. On Aug. 31, on the first arraignment date for the case. General Contact Information: Main Number: (408) 299-5151 Media Line: (408) 299-5119 Office of the County Executive Contact Us to avoid being attacked, she said. Nov 21 The Sheriff's Office will be partnering up with other local law enforcement agencies in the "2022 South County Gun Buyback Program" scheduled on Saturday December 10th, 2022 at the Morgan Hill Outdoors Sports Center. You can't take the Fifth. The incidents are listed only after officers have left the scene, however, and do not show the exact locations of the calls. In testifying before Braker some days later, Sgt. A mother of three, the San Jose resident said she would always "be there for my deputies.". He rose to the rank of captain and held the post of assistant chief in the Department of Correction for two years.While at the sheriff's office, he was the Stanford Department of Public Safety liaison, county jail administration commander, court security division commander and administrative coroner. Office of the Sheriff. Still, Smith remains the most intriguing figure and the biggest enigma in the case. "Custody has one budget and enforcement has another. This is the official Youtube channel of the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office. "It's so lacking. Jensen believes they have to get the idea that they are there to serve, even though emotions might sometimes want to get in the way.For example, when he worked on the Polly Klaas murder case, Jensen said he needed to have self-control. The winning applications usually came from Undersheriff Rick Sung, Capt. He would have a no-tolerance policy for corruption, discrimination or misconduct, including racist, sexist or homophobic speech and actions. Jensen told you to say? Braker asked. He didn't let his experience embitter him. Sean Allen He's experienced both sides of law enforcement. Sign up for the Peninsula Foodist newsletter. "Unfortunately, three of . As the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office remains embroiled in controversy over alleged corruption and mismanagement, five candidates vying for Sheriff Laurie Smith's seat will be tasked with proving they can restore public confidence in the law enforcement agency. One may wonder how many concealed weapons are carried around SCC every day WITHOUT a permit. Christine Nagaye has used challenges throughout her life to achieve her goals. Again going by Jensens instructions, he said hed typically blame the delays on something out of his control. "Law enforcement has always had a problem with that. "The California Highway Patrol and LAPD have shown that there are ways to work around the issues that have been brought up. In an instance that spurred an ongoing criminal investigation, an executive security firm with its sights set on a stack of permits was given a $90,000 donation target from a Smith aide. Nagaye supports having a civilian watchdog to audit law enforcement practices and the management of the county jails. The DOJ doesn't require blanket encryption and allows for workarounds, but Jonsen did not create any, community critics have said.The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office also encrypts its radio communications.The city has also faced a number of lawsuits during Jonsen's tenure, alleging excessive use of force by Palo Alto officers. Law Enforcement Agency - Serving & Protecting since 1850 - Follow us on Facebook & Twitter It goes a long way. In the 20 years I've been in this agency I only used pepper spray one time and I was ordered to use it," she said. I have been in contact with Sen. Becker and his office about SB 1000 and support it 100%. "Management is the first place you have to start to change the culture," Allen said. Regarding the office's use of its budget, Nagaye said that if elected, "I would hire a forensic accountant to find out where the pitfalls are with money. You don't serve the master.". How a really big check unraveled a well-oiled, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Los Gatos: Hundreds still without power as Black Road repair project finishes early, How a really big check unraveled a well-oiled patronage system with Santa Clara County concealed-gun permits, Jensen, Schumb, and co-defendants Harpaul Nahal and Michael Nichols are scheduled to appear in court Monday to continue their arraignment proceedings in the case. A short time later, the sheriffs office gave Sanders a valuable privilege under Californias tough firearms laws: the right to carry it as a concealed weapon. "Putting mentally ill people in jail with a bunch of cops (is a bad idea). "We rewrote and reworked the policy to make sense for this day and age. She would hold instructors accountable for the end results if employees are not properly trained, she said. He was also the risk and information-sharing program manager for the Urban Area Security Initiative and was tasked with terrorism prevention, mitigation, response and recovery for the 12-county Bay Area region. Other agencies use cellphones, Nextel, or computers," he said. Most are honest and do have integrity. Before arriving in California, she was an investigative/enterprise reporter for Fresh Take Florida, a news service offered by UF. A look inside San Jose politics and culture. The police auditor now reviews supervisory inquiry investigations, internal employee complaints of discrimination, harassment or retaliation and any use-of-force investigation where a baton, chemical agent, Taser, less-lethal projectile, canine or firearm is used, or when a subject's injuries as a result of a police use of force require treatment beyond minor medical care in the field, his website noted. Wed, Mar 01, 2023 . SHERIFF'S OFFICE-CUSTODY BUREAU 180 W. Hedding Street San Jose, CA 95110 Deputy Russell Davis Phone: 408-808-4905 [email protected] Back to Top D OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY 70 West Hedding Street, West Wing San Jose, CA 95110 Sean Webby Phone: 408-792-2997 [email protected] Back to Top E OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT "Everyone has a story," retired Santa Clara County Sheriff's Capt. The city of Palo Alto, under Jonsen,. News The Board of Supervisors. Under Jonsen, the department banned neck holds and advocated for the new public safety building, which is under construction. "Just because I'm an elected official doesn't mean I don't have to follow the rules. "I'm a talker. Laurie Smith (born June 21, 1952) was the 28th Sheriff of Santa Clara County, California, serving from 1998 until her early retirement in 2022 when under indictment for corruption. After attending high school in Novato, he spent 27 years with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Hm, a virtual interview from the Hawaiian Islands is being scheduled???? You can't take the Fifth. But a short time later, their cover was blown although it would take months more before the sheriffs office realized it. Jensen worked in the sheriff's office for more than 29 years, retiring in 2013. San Jose Inside (https://www.sanjoseinside.com), The DA accuses the Sheriff's Office of offering CCW permits in exchange for political contributions. If the records clean, they can sign up for a class to prove firearm proficiency. In October 2018, according to text messages examined by investigators, Nielsen, at the direction of Jensen, went to Schumbs downtown San Jose law office. If you have any questions about the videos posted on here, please contact the Public Information Officer at 408-808 . The first witness in the civil corruption trial against Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith testified Friday. And yet, Dr. Sussman says they are dying from drugs more than ever before. Reginald Cooks, the first PIO from the sheriffs custody division, assumed the role in 2017 and worked over the ensuing couple of years alongside Glennon at first and later with then-Deputy Michael Low. In 2021, after outcry from the public about the council's approval of the change, Jonsen complied with the council's reversal of the prior decision. (Questions and website comments) Service Units Directory. The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office also encrypts its radio communications. The most important quality she wants in her deputies. If you've had an incident, be honest and let me know. He said Smiths alleged mismanagement as the longest-serving elected sheriff in Santa Clara County has destroyed lives and violated the most basic of civil rights of inmates and created a dystopian place of horrible suffering., Smith did not directly address Liccardos call for her resignation, but when asked whether she intended to step down, she said, At this time, no.. The department is also documenting microaggressions to track hate-incident patterns to proactively intervene before they escalate to crimes.Everyone deserves equal protection "regardless of their ZIP code," he said.As sheriff, he said, he would continue community policing and engage in outreach to help all areas of the community.The most important quality he wants in his deputies"Compassion, respect and integrity. It goes a long way. But convenience was just one of the perks sheriffs aides offered the VIPs. I see the problems on a day-to-day basis and problems the deputies face," she said. SAN JOSE, Calif. - Santa Clara County Sheriff-elect Bob Jonsen will assume his duties one month early after his embattled predecessor abruptly resigned in October. He would be going to a lot of the lunches. He announced his retirement this year and plans to step down in mid-June. "I have a proven record for establishing strong community policing programs and developing strategic solutions," he said.Jonsen launched the Palo Alto Police Department's Psychiatric Emergency Response Team (PERT) last November, which pairs an officer with a licensed mental health clinician from the Santa Clara County Behavioral Health Services Department to provide rapid intervention to people in a mental health crisis. I would take things to heart and they would get an answer," she said.Nagaye said she would also be transparent with the media and would be responsive when the media comes to an event. [4], Two inmates escaped from custody in San Jose in November 2016. "I've done about every job you can do. But she has been able to do that before. Leading with integrity is the biggest thing. Crime and Public Safety | "We have to earn it. Jensen is "100% for front-end mental health services" that help keep people safe and out of jail. In this policy there's a lot of focus on mental health and the severely mentally ill. By cooling-off periods for inmates, we slowed things down a lot," she said.Nagaye said she believes in de-escalation techniques and training deputies to talk people in crisis down. Even if force is used, I have high expectations that my officers know the laws," he said. ", RELATED: Researchers are honing in on potential Fentanyl vaccine amid national opioid crisis. It is under investigation by the state Attorney General's Office for possible. I have nothing to hide. SAN JOSE, Calif. (KRON) Santa Clara County's top cop, Sheriff Laurie Smith, is in hot water because a civil grand jury leveled seven counts of . I'm the only candidate working the line. Listen to each of them answer questions from the public. She said she would have an ongoing "meet the deputies" program to improve the agency's relationship with the community.Can the candidates straighten out the sheriff's office, restore the public's confidence in its transparency and accountability and reform its jail system?In alphabetical order, here's what they had to say. "Based on the evidence that we retrieve, if we have enough information to link this back to a person responsible to this incident, there will be homicide charges that will be sent over to the district attorney's office. Thinking you can't be held accountable is narcissistic. If we don't have a seat at the table, we don't deserve the trust," he said.As sheriff, he would provide education to the public on how to better protect their neighborhoods, and he would work collaboratively with law enforcement throughout the county.He would establish school-outreach programs to educate children on crime prevention, gang activity, substance abuse, internet crimes and other offenses to which they can become prey.The most important quality he wants in his deputiesWhether on the street or in the jail, officers need to act with integrity, Jensen said. My mother-in-law calls me and asks, 'What is best time to go shopping?'" So we would usually tell people that we would get to it, but there is a backlog, Glennon said. He lives in south San Jose with his wife and blended family of four children. When Palo Alto had 13 vacancies, they were quickly filled when officers were given enhanced opportunities and there were more chances to grow professionally, he said.Jail reform and use of forceDespite the city's settlements for excessive force by his department, Jonsen noted that the city paid out less than $1 million compared to the county, which has paid more than $20 million. Update: Former Palo Alto police Chief Robert "Bob" Jonsen declared victory in a tight race with Kevin. San Jose Inside. He would institute listening sessions with the community and hear about any problems people have with deputies or other personnel, he said.The most important quality he wants in his deputiesAllen wants employees with integrity, commitment, objectivity and who are problem solvers. "Jensen met his wife at Bible college and they married at age 19. Santa Clara County Sheriff Laurie Smith speaks during a news conference May 26. All rights reserved. 2,995 were here. As sheriff, he would advocate for additional funding for mental health programs to help de-escalate crisis encounters.Jonsen said he would also address lagging recruitment and retention of deputies and staff. Her top brass faces charges of corruption and bribery, and the state attorney general is investigating her office for civil rights violations. The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office is a local law enforcement agency that serves Santa Clara County, California. He also understands both sides of the law due to his early arrest and the racism he has encountered within the system. "I'm 100% in favor of full transparency. (Illustration by Kathy Manlapaz). Jensen met his wife at Bible college and they married at age 19. God knows we need more of it. Robert Durr or the sheriff herself. The Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office was founded in 1850, making it one of the oldest law enforcement agencies in the State of California. At Brakers prompting, Glennon explained how a applying for a CCW should work versus how it actually worked during his few-year tenure in the unit that processed them. Tehama County Sheriffs Office resuming daytime patrols Sunday The change meant that disputes that involve two officers including an incident in which a police captain was accused of using a racial slur would be privately investigated by the Human Resources Department and screened from the public.In 2021, after outcry from the public about the council's approval of the change, Jonsen complied with the council's reversal of the prior decision. "The California Highway Patrol and LAPD have shown that there are ways to work around the issues that have been brought up. She would provide social workers and inmate education to help address issues that cause recidivism. I want to make it very clear that I support all of the investigations, Smith said Tuesday. Voters in the June 7 primary will determine which two candidates move on to the general election in November. The indictment also contends, via seven felony charges against Jensen of falsifying paperwork, that some applicants didnt even have to go to the gun range to show that they knew how to safely use their firearms. To support the entire operation, the Department employs 223 non-sworn, civilian staff. Endorsements: The International Brotherhood of Teamsters and the Dean Democratic Club of Silicon Valley; multiple individual donors, many of whom are Santa Clara County Sheriff deputies. Despite these changes, and the full encryption of radio communications, Jonsen said he recognizes that the media "is crucial in building trust with the community.". 12. "We have to earn it. Voters in the June 7 primary will determine which two candidates move on to the general election in November.Under Smith, deputies murdered a mentally ill inmate, and others in custody have been injured, costing the county millions of dollars in settlements. She would retrain more deputies who are on patrol in these skills and add more mental health services onto PERT teams.TransparencyShe supports appointing a civilian watchdog to audit law-enforcement practices and management. I'm the only candidate working the line. Get up to speed with our Essential California newsletter, sent six days a week. He would institute listening sessions with the community and hear about any problems people have with deputies or other personnel, he said. "I am the only candidate to call for ending the encryption of radios, and I have been calling for the end of this policy since launching my campaign. During his more than three-decade career, Jonsen has taken on a number of law enforcement roles, both professional and fictional: He once held an intergalactic position as a stormtrooper in the original Star Wars movie, according to his candidate webpage. Updated: Jan 14, 2022 / 10:59 PM PST. SANTA CLARA COUNTY, Calif. (KGO) -- The polls may be closed . Phone: (408) 299-7500. "Custody has one budget and enforcement has another. He looks for people who are willing to do the right thing even if it's not popular, he said. green labs cherry empire strain, roslyn high school alumni, attacking the motive fallacy examples,