Once applied to the skin, it rapidly enters the bloodstream and moves toward the intestines. That is why Bayer, the manufacturer of Profender, make sure that the felines would not experience significant troubles after ingesting small amounts of the solution. This product is killing our beloved pets!, I chose this product because the applicator is so simple, I didnt think twice. In case of accidental ingestion or if skin or eye irritation occurs, call a poison control center or physician for treatment advice. Depending on your cat's medical or genetic history, she may develop more severe reactions from her experimental taste, such as vomiting, lethargy or tremors. Tell your vet about any health issues your cat may be having, and medications you are giving, especially if it is affected by adult heartworms because a study has indicated that the efficacy of the medication is likely to be less in such cases [3]. She was not the first and will not be the last. Pregnant women, or women who may become pregnant, should avoid direct contact with, or wear disposable gloves when applying, this product. The side effects should disappear after a short period, but if they persist after a day or two, consult your vet for a thorough checkup and treatment. About TheCatSite.com. Cats are fastidious groomers and they spend a great deal of time licking themselves. Always check with your veterinarian before changing your pets diet, medication, or physical activity routines. Do not get this product in the cat's mouth or eyes or allow the cat to lick the application site for one hour. If they do not, contact your veterinarian. Profender dewormer offers a unique combination of active ingredients for single-dose efficacy. If your cat experiences vomiting or diarrhea within 24 hours of application, make sure he has plenty of water to drink so he does not become dehydrated. Should Ask an Expert Ask a Vet Cat Vet Found 1 result (s) for your search My cat licked profender that was applied to his back. Unfortunately, with almost otherworldly contortion abilities, she may reach it anyway. Glad to hear that there is an improvement in Archie's condition; it must be a relief for you. PROFENDER Topical Solution is indicated for the treatment and control of hookworm infections caused by Ancylostoma tubaeforme (adults, immature adults, and fourth stage larvae), roundworm infections caused by Toxocara cati (adults and fourth stage larvae), and tapeworm infections caused by Dipylidium caninum (adults) and Taenia taeniaeformis (adults) in cats. If your cat is heavier than 17.6 pounds, you will need to combine cat medication tubes to match the appropriate weight. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) provides additional occupational safety information. Cats that are more than eight weeks old and weigh more than 2.2 pounds can take the solution, but it should not be applied to younger cats. Some cats may experience lethargic behavior after deworming. A third 5X kitten experienced tremors the day after dosing. Pica develops when an animal craves the taste of nonfood items, and it is usually indicative of a metabolic or physiological disorder, most often anemia. A single application is sufficient for one treatment. The chemical name is Cyclo [D - 2 - hydroxypropanoyl - N - methyl - L - leucyl - 3 - [4 - (4 - morpholinyl)phenyl] - D - 2 - hydroxypropanoyl - N - methyl - L - leucyl - D - 2 - hydroxypropanoyl - N - methyl - L - leucyl - 3 - [4 - (4 - morpholinyl)phenyl] - D - 2 - hydroxypropanoyl - N - methyl - L - leucyl]. As a result, it's strongly recommended that you keep an eye on your pet after it receives the solution to quickly detect suspicious signs. Behr's been okay and it's been several hours. Just wanted to double check with anyone here! My cat licked profender that was applied to his back. Check us out for further detailed cat's health guide! Moving to a new home, gaining a new roommate, moving the furniture, and even a change in diet can bring on an anxiety issue. My cat didnt seem to mind it at all, and Ive had no issues with him afterward. Foreign Market Experience: The following adverse events were reported voluntarily during post-approval use of the product in foreign markets: application site reaction (hair loss, dermatitis, pyoderma, edema, and erythema), salivation, pruritus, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, dehydration, ataxia, loss of appetite, facial swelling, rear leg paresis, seizures, hyperesthesia, twitching, and death. The others either made them sick or did not work at all. Bayer, the Bayer Cross and Profender are registered trademarks of Bayer. Report. My Cat Licked Profender: What May Happen To It, Why Does My Cat Sleep On My Pillow: Thorough Breakdowns, Why Does My Cat Chase His Tail: In-Depth Analyses, How Many Times A Day Should A Cat Pee: Breakdowns, Alternatives To Declawing A Cat: A Guide For Cat Parents, Why Does My Cat Stare At The Wall: Complete Breakdowns, What To Do With A Stray Cat That Won't Leave: A Couple Of Suggestions, Cat Sleeping With Eyes Open: Frequently Asked Question And Answers, Cat Breeds With Big Ears: A Guide For Cat Parents, Why Does My Cat Sleep On My Head: Thorough Breakdowns, How Long Can A Cat Go Without Eating: Complete Breakdowns. What are the weight ranges and age requirements for Profender for cats? How does Profender for Cats, 1 Dose work? Clinical signs included salivation (one 1X and three 5X cats), labored breathing (all groups) and lethargy (one 5X cat). I see similar horror stories online before I stopped reading. The active ingredient inside Profender is absorbed into the bloodstream and distributed throughout the body to kill parasites such as roundworms, hookworms, and tapeworms. I know where the emergency vet is, right down the street, which is excellent. How long does Profender for cats take to work? They may bang into walls, furniture, or your legs; some even wont eat. Select the package that correctly corresponds with the body weight of the cat. The most common side effects of Profender include: If you notice any side effects after applying Profender, do NOT give your cat another dose of Profender for intestinal worms. He's eaten quite a bit and seems himself *knock on wood*. It prevents harmful worm infections in cats. Medium - A 0.70 milliliter tube for cats weighing 5.5 to 11 pounds. Profender is safe to use for adult cats and kittens. You have to obtain a prescription from your vet before you can use this product on your cat. However, there are also reports from cat owners who say that Profender killed their cats or caused them to fall ill. What are the risks of Profender and can Profender kill a cat? The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Avoid contact with the application area while it is wet and wash hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after handling. For additional information about adverse drug experience reporting for animal drugs, contact FDA at 1-888-FDA-VETS or online at http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth. If you can call your own vet, I'd do so. Profender, Elanco and the diagonal bar logo are trademarks of Elanco or its affiliates. With a degree in Animal Behaviour and over a decade of practical animal husbandry experience, Hannah's articles cover everything from pet care to wildlife conservation. 20 - 0.35 mL tubes (5 blisters of 4 tubes), 40 - 0.35 mL tubes (10 blisters of 4 tubes), 20 - 0.7 mL tubes (5 blisters of 4 tubes), 40 - 0.7 mL tubes (10 blisters of 4 tubes), 20 - 1.12 mL tubes (5 blisters of 4 tubes), 40 - 1.12 mL tubes (10 blisters of 4 tubes), 8 - 0.35 mL tubes (2 blisters of 4 tubes), 8 - 1.12 mL tubes (2 blisters of 4 tubes). THIS SERVICE AND DATA ARE PROVIDED "AS IS". If your cat manages to ingest the medication, the side effects are usually mild. Most often than not, your cat will attempt to lick it off. You know, once you know how to get there, you won't have to go. Should Expert's Assistant chat Order Now Product Label Why Prescribe Profender? Let's find out. 3 days later we had to put my cat down!, I have a cat that is very hard to give pills to. However, the licking and grooming can cause a cat to ingest the drug to the point that it may experience physical side effects. Talk to your veterinarian to find the best course of action, cats and kittens that are at least 8 weeks old and weigh at least 2.2 pounds. At the study conclusion, the 1X and 5X cats had fewer live heartworms recovered than the 0X group. The solution enters the bloodstream and goes to the intestines to eradicate the parasites there. Flea medicine is not always toxic when licked, but it should be considered an urgent matter. Description PROFENDER [1.98% emodepside/7.94% praziquantel] Topical Solution is a clear yellow ready-to-use solution packaged in single unit dosing applicator tubes for topical (dermal) treatment of cats 8 weeks of age and older and weighing at least 2.2 lbs (1 kg). The recommended minimum dose is 1.36 mg/lb (3mg/kg) emodepside + 5.45 mg/lb (12 mg/kg) praziquantel as a single topical dose. Profender is a vet-recommended dewormer for cats that provides a one-time topical deworming treatment. Neurological disorders result from a disruption to your cat's nervous system. Use with caution in sick or debilitated cats. Stiff hair, a damp appearance of the hair, or a slight powdery residue may be observed at the treatment site. Usually, it takes one dose to finish the parasites but if another dose is necessary, wait for 30 days between treatments. It is applied to the skin. Less than 8 weeks old or weigh less than 2.2lbs, Hypersensitive to its primary ingredients, Profender Topical Solution (emodepside/praziquantel) , Profender (emodepside/praziquantel) Topical Solution , Diagnosis and Management Of Lungworm Infections in Cats , Emodepside/Praziquantel (Profender) for Dogs and Cats , Profender Topical Parasiticide for Small Cats (Canada) . How to administer Profender: Remove one pipette from package. As with any medication, exceptions, drug interactions and more severe side effects can occur. My cat is 16 pounds, so I put the dose on the back of her neck. I did the first dose on both but my 6 year old cat kept foaming from her mouth and acting strange for a few days. No, I don't suppose you will; but my guess is that you will never use it again. DVMetrics assumes no liability, and each user assumes full risk, responsibility, and liability, related to its use of the DVMetrics service and data. When you suspect that your fluffy friend is suffering from worms, you need to deworm it as soon as possible. Owners should not exceed the once-a-month application guideline for this topical . Emodepside, a semi-synthetic molecule, is a cyclic depsipeptide. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); 2023 (ThePetStep.com). For customer service or to obtain product information, including the MSDS, call 1-800-633-3796. The symptoms were completely reversible. Cheristin kills adult fleas in 30 minutes after contact. Protect against tapeworms, roundworms and hookworm infections, No pills requiredconvenient topical treatment reduces stress for patients. This medication is easily and conveniently applied as a spot-on treatment. Increased risk of infection. While holding the tube in an upright position, remove the cap from the tube. Prevent the possibility of illness by keeping her mouth away from the Frontline until it dries completely. Note: Though Profender rarely leads to health issues in cats if orally ingested, it's of utmost importance that people keep watch over the pets. Oral ingestion or exposure should be avoided. Keep the solution away from the reach of children since Profender might cause considerable health issues if ingested by humans. (See ANIMAL SAFETY.). Luckily, the main active ingredient in Frontline is fipronil, which is not lethal if ingested. These kinds of days, Profender is primarily available in 3 common types of tubes: small (0.35 mL), medium (0.70 mL), and large (1.12 mL). The medication starts working against tapeworms within 24 hours, while removal of other forms of parasites occurs within 48 hours after application [6]. In some cases, death has been reported as an outcome of the adverse events listed. Use with caution in cats that are heartworm positive. A single treatment is effective and a second treatment should not be necessary. One 5X kitten experienced salivation and tremors and another 5X kitten experienced salivation on the day of dosing. Oral exposure can cause salivation and vomiting. Profender, a topical solution, is popularly used on cats to treat and eliminate parasites like tapeworms and roundworms. Zoey is the mother of Purrfect n' Pawesome's mascot and a long-time animal . Great dewormers are safe, affordable, and effective. Placing an Elizabethan collar on your cats neck is also effective in keeping your cat from licking the treated area. Several more days went by and she got worse. Don't assume that the worst your cat will suffer is drooling like a Saint Bernard for a while after licking Frontline. The internet can be great, but can also scare the hell out of you. The easiest way to lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication records. Studies performed in rats and rabbits suggest that emodepside may interfere with fetal development in those species. Your cat may become uninterested in eating, resulting in weight loss, or shake its head along with excessive drooling and foaming at the mouth. While holding the tube in an upright position, remove the cap from the tube. Bayer HealthCare LLC, Animal Health Division, P.O. Oral ingestion or exposure should be avoided. The medication's taste usually causes the most notable reaction, as the cat's mouth waters to get rid of the foul flavor. If she's intent on reaching for it, use an Elizabethan collar -- also known as the Cone of Shame -- to block her efforts. Profender should only be applied to intact skin. Using the Profender topical solution may cause a few adverse reactions in cats, including scratching the application site, too much licking, lethargy, drooling or foaming at the mouth, loss of hair, vomiting, diarrhea, respiratory and eye irritation, tremors, and nervousness [6, 9]. Adverse reactions to Frontline typically show fairly quickly, so keep an eye on your cat for the first days after applying the medication. He may lose weight quickly, which makes him look thinner and sicker. Short-Term Side Effects of Prednisolone for Cats. When using Profender, the recommended dosage is 0. Twist the cap to break the seal and then remove the cap from the tube. It's a memory your cat had from being licked by its own mother and is a real sign of affection. PROFENDER Topical Solution for Cats, 11-17.6 lbs, (Purple Box), 1 Dose - Chewy.com Cat Healthcare Heartworm Prevention & Dewormers Profender Topical Solution for Cats, 11-17.6 lbs, (Purple Box) By Profender 40 Reviews Prescription Item Pet Weight 2.2-5.5 lbs 5.5-11 lbs 11-17.6 lbs Count 1 Dose $13.99 / ea 2 Doses $13.99 / ea Price: $13.99 While the use of the drug did not appear to be the direct cause of death, treatment with the drug cannot be ruled out as a contributing factor (See PRECAUTIONS). Use with caution in sick or debilitated cats. The listing includes Adverse Events reported to CVM for products, such as Profender, that contain the combined active ingredients emodepside and praziquantel. Food left on your cat's teeth will cause plaque buildup as well as provide conditions for bacterial growth. In a laboratory study, cats artificially infected with adult heartworms and treated with PROFENDER Topical Solution had fewer worms recovered than the placebo control group. *Reinfection is always a possibility, in which case additional treatment after 30 days may be necessary. Do not get this product in the cats mouth or eyes or allow the cat to lick the application site for one hour. My cat has had a couple of tapeworm infections. It is based on the principle that a cat cannot lick its fur if it cannot turn his head and reach the treated area. Do NOT induce vomiting without consulting a vet or Pet Poison Helpline. Before medicating the cat, gather everything you'll need on a table or other flat surface. Worry that your furball could be in deep trouble after licking Profender off its skin? *Reinfection due to exposure may require repeat dosing. Praziquantel is an isoquinoline cestocide. A 2-3 minute chase ensues as my girlfriend frantically calls our vet. If your cat wont open her eyes, it could mean that a bit of the topical solution has gotten into the eyes and caused irritation. What Are the Warning Signs a Cat Has Licked Frontline. Allergic reactions are typically seen within 12 hours of application and include vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, not eating or drinking, drooling, and tremors or seizures. 5. Profender Topical Solution for Cats, 5.5-11 lbs, (Orange Box) By Profender 45 Reviews Prescription Item Pet Weight 2.2-5.5 lbs 5.5-11 lbs 11-17.6 lbs Count 1 Dose 2 Doses $12.49 $11.87 Autoship (Save an extra 5%) Why Autoship? Always handle Profender with care. Moreover, emodepside (one of the main ingredients of the solution) may interfere with fetal developments which means pregnant women should refrain from handling Profender directly. Call Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661. I went to the vet because one of my cats had worms. By utilizing a unique combination of active ingredients not found in any other dewormer for single-dose efficacy, Profender is effective and a second treatment should not be necessary. One sign that your cat has licked flea treatment is loss of appetite. Generally speaking, the solution is applied to the skin but you should avoid broken skin as well as wet fur. If you notice your dog or cat showing signs of any of these symptoms, call your vet right away: Muscle Weakness/In-Coordination - In 1% of clinical trials, some pets experienced extreme muscle weakness which lead to . Its easy to use and gives them peace of mind when they have to go outside. We comply with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information. A cat may walk through an area with eggs or infected feces, and since cats are often such fastidious groomers, they will then ingest the eggs or fecal particles as they clean their fur and feet. If your cat only occasionally licks up worm medicine, you have no cause for concern. This spot-on solution treats and controls gastrointestinal worms such as roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms and whipworms in cats. Jane Williams began her writing career in 2000 as the writer and editor of a nationwide marketing company. If a cat ingests flea drops, they may experience gastrointestinal upset, including vomiting and diarrhea. *Reinfection due to exposure may require repeat dosing. Female cats especially will exhibit this sort of parenting or nurturing type of behavior. JavaScript is disabled. Vet says sometimes this just spontaneously happens?? My cats are not huge fans of taking medication, but it is a necessary part of keeping them healthy. BRAVECTO PLUS has not been shown to be effective for 2 months in kittens less than 6 months of age. There's little you can do except offer her plenty of water to help her stay hydrated and to wash the taste from her mouth. Keep it away from the reach of children and pets. It is provided as a convenient spot-on type of medication to enable easier dosing of cats. The ready-to-use tubes effectively treat in just one application. 3. My vet gave me the tube of Profender. If her behavior changes dramatically after her exposure to Frontline, contact your veterinarian immediately for advice and guidance. Federal law (U.S.A.) restricts this drug to use by or on the order of a licensed veterinarian. 82482521/03615026/82482572/03615034/82482580/82482602, R.2. IMO, call the experts. deer ticks) American dog ticks and Gulf . On Profender's website it says that if the application site is licked, salivation and vomiting may result, everything else seems like rare complications. He is about to have a chest drain put in. People with known hypersensitivity to butylhydroxyanisole, emodepside or praziquantel should administer the product with caution. The level of treatment your cat needs depends on the intensity of side effects she's experiencing. If the product accidentally gets into eyes, flush thoroughly with water. Profender is applied conveniently at one spot on cat skin. Eliminates the need for repeat dosing*, reducing stress for your clients and patients. Part the hair on the back of the cats neck at the base of the head until the skin is See the Terms of Use for further details. Profender is a topical solution for cats to treat and eliminate hookworms, roundworms, and tapeworms. 4.11 . Profender is used to treat cats against roundworms and tapeworms. I've definitely calmed down. He salivated quite alot and I watched him closely. Treat Critical Worms Protect against tapeworms, roundworms and hookworm infections Easy Topical Application That being said, it's worth noting that the safe use of the solution in breeding, pregnant and lactating cats have not been decided. Remove one unit dose tube from the package. *Cats over 17.6 lbs should be treated with the appropriate combination of Profender tubes. "But what if my cat licked Profender?" However, most cats wont take to this collar easily. Oral exposure can cause salivation and vomiting. Profender is usually cautiously used in pregnant, nursing, or debilitated cats [6]. Cats generally don't cooperate when their owners try to treat them for medical conditions. Data from these studies demonstrated PROFENDER Topical Solution is safe and effective for the treatment and control of hookworm infections caused by Ancylostoma tubaeforme (adults, immature adults, and fourth stage larvae), roundworm infections caused by Toxocara cati (adults and fourth stage larvae), and tapeworm infections caused by Dipylidium caninum (adults) and Taenia taeniaeformis (adults). Why use Profender for Cats, 1 Dose? For the most part, if he's not vomiting and the drooling has stopped then it wouldn't seem his intestinal tract is that upset. Treats: Tapeworms, roundworms, hookworms Works for: cats and kittens that are at least 8 weeks old and weigh at least 2.2 pounds Application type: Topical Treatment frequency: As recommended by veterinarian If this happens, take your cat to the emergency care department for treatment. Vet doesnt know why. The collar is not effective if the treated area is on the legs. In some cases, a cat may experience an allergic reaction to Profender which can be fatal if left untreated. I would recommend this product for anyone who has a cat that is dealing with worms.. Copyright 2023 Animalytix LLC. In case your fluffy friend is currently on medication to treat ticks, mites and so on, talk with the vets to deduce of using Profender is a good idea. She'll drool excessively, like foaming-at-the-mouth type of waterfall drool. Twist the cap to break the seal and then remove the cap from the tube. Holding you both in my thoughts. some pet owners ask themselves. PM-US-22-1150. There is a high risk that my cats will get worms from those cats, so I give them the Profender once a month as preventative care. When it comes to the health of cats and the use of prescription medications, cat parents must be extremely careful. Increased urination. Overall, it's widely advised that you always wear a pair of gloves while applying the solution to your cat. Also prevent your cat from licking itself for an hour after applying the medication, and quarante it from other pets so they do not get exposed to it [3, 6]. Weakness and stiffness can be due to bone, ligament, muscle problems, nerve damage, neurological issues, or organ failure. The active ingredients completely eradicate intestinal parasites and prevent re-infestation. See how you could save money on your Profender purchase. However, some cats may react differently. Cats that are nauseous may seem interested in food, but then refuse it, or they may drool and lick their lips often. It's also possible your cat has licked some of their flea medicine off their neck. The vet essentially said that it was fine, and that cats will over salivate when they ingest it. In . Place the tip of the tube on the skin and squeeze the entire contents directly onto the skin. If possible, enlist a friend's help to hold the cat so you have both hand's free to apply the drops. He's been through so much already in his life so I think I am just more prone to overreactions when it comes to him. However, an infection in the spinal cord may result in an unsteady gait, problems with limb functioning, or complete paralysis.