Now I know what you might be thinking. Your email address will not be published. This is a sign of kidney disease. Other foods, including Brussels sprouts, onions, cabbage, and turnips can also make your pee smell funky because of a metabolic byproduct called methyl mercaptan, a gas with a putrid, sulfurous smell that emerges . When mixed with other compounds present in cat urine, it can produce an unpleasant smell reminiscent of rotten eggs or burnt matches. Some people had reported that the substance a skunk release smells like burnt garlic, while some said that there were times when it smelled like burnt rubber. To express them yourself, youll need to insert your ring finger and thumb into their anus. That is why I wrote Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog, which has turned out being an award-winning guide to dog owners Countless veterinary visits without a diagnosis or useful treatment later, I realized that I had to take Jasmine's health care in my own hands. Some owners fear their dog has gotten into a dangerous chemical. That is the number one cause of stinky pee. These are 1/4 cup baking soda, 2 teaspoons of mild dishwashing liquid like dawn, and 1 quart of hydrogen peroxide. Puppies and dogs can have accidents inside. Just tonight she snuck into the cat food tray while I was working in another room (wife was in living room with her and didn't notice that she snuck away) and dragged the chicken down the hallway, into the bedroom and proceeded to eat most of it before I caught her. When pee dries out, it will have a strong ammonia smell that will last a long time. Review symptoms, medications & behavior to keep your pets healthy with a Vet Online in just minutes. . The post is a mini-seminar in itself thank you! As always, consult with your vet before starting any new vitamins. Sour or musty smell from car A/C. She knows she's not allowed to eat it so she would pee right next to it. However, she had an UTI a few months ago, a very stubborn strain of e. Coli that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear up. . The idea of smelling phantom burning toast may be kind of amusing but strokes are serious. Be sure that they are getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. should we get him into the vet first things in the morning? The vet will advise you whether or not an infection exists and will recommend treatment. This condition is caused by too much meat or protein in your dogs diet. I was just wondering about the smell. Unfortunately, other problems had snowballed for that in the meantime. Plus the color of my urine is a deep/dark yellow, like a deep mustard gold. Answer: I don't really have an answer to why your urine smells like burnt matches, but it can't be all that uncommon. 1. I had to learn and I had to learn fast. You cannot make one in advance and store it because this may explode when kept in a closed container for too long. It can be difficult to remove an ammonia odor. Add some baking soda to the dog shampoo to help deodorize their fur. However, it is certainly a problem you want to solve as quickly as possible. I have never experienced this before and wonder if the initial blast is worse than the diluted scent we all experience.. If your dog is diagnosed with a urinary tract infection, they will need a course of antibiotics to clear it up. They rush them to the vet, only to find they were skunk sprayed. Read articles by Jana Rade edited by Dr. Joanna Paul BSc BVSc. Are you taking your dog to a vet for a wellness exam or because theyre ill? You may have encountered horrifying halitosis, or bad breath. Fortunately, the causes of this smell can be navigated to find the answer to why your pup's breath, pee, and/or poop smells like burnt rubber. As you reach home, you suddenly start smelling a familiar scent burnt rubber. it contains asparagus*. Expect your veterinarian to run several tests . This could be something electrical in the home overheating and melting its insulating plastic or rubberwhich could lead to a fire.The most likely culprit is an appliance, such as a dishwasher, washing machine or an air conditioner. If anal glands are causing the stink, they need to be expressed. Cocaine is a street drug that looks like a fine white powder, and it can be used by snorting, injecting, or by rubbing it into the gums. Jasmine, the Rottweiler of my life, was the largest female from her litter. As for the dribbling, it's hard to say if it's UTI related because she does have very severe bridging spondylosis (where the spine is basically fused together due to bone spurs). If your dog has kidney disease or kidney failure, he or she may also smell like ammonia. Thinking that he is just enjoying himself, you let him be. There can be several causes for dog urine that smells like fish, but the most likely one is a UTI. First of all, it could be a symptom of a urinary tract infection (UTI). PetDT.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Why does my dogs pee smell like burnt rubber? The culprit is usually the same thing that causes their pee to smell like fish. The smell is very strong and even after I flush the toilet the smell remains in the bathroom for several minutes. Theiranal glandscan also give off an overpowering, fish-like smell especially if they need to be expressed. If your dogs eyes are red or irritated, flush them immediately with cool running water. Realized it was actually her urine that I was smelling. The articles published on this blog are for informational purposes only. Its common but not that common. Skunk spray is high in sulfur, which causes it to smell like rotten eggs. They are related to fossas, civets, and genets in Southeast Asia and bearcats in North America. We love our pooches, but sometimes, they stink. ZooAwesome should not be considered as an alternative to professional vet advice. From the sounds of it, if you wait for a while, the smell will changed into the classic skunk smell we are all use to. You will notice that if you wait for a while, the burnt smell would change into the classic skunk smell, and your dog will start to smell like burnt rubber. customer: we just notived tonight that our 4.5 yr old dog's urine smells like burnt rubber. It can also occur if your dog has a digestive or liver disease. Dr. Joanna Paul BSc BVSc is our wonderful sponsor and has been kind to edit and fact-check my important articles. This could be something electrical in the home overheating and melting its insulating plastic or rubberwhich could lead to a fire. Always use a face mask when preparing this mixture. Problems with our sense of smell, including phantom odors or a loss of smell, can be a warning sign of serious illness. Generally, crack smells like burnt plastic or rubber and cleaning chemicals when it is smoked. Oral tumors: can cause a dogs breath to smell like burned rubber or even a sewer. You may even notice your dog smells like urine. Usually this is due to dehydration, but it can also be due to infection. Its crucial to use wipes that are labeled as safe for dogs and their sensitive areas. WOW!! My urine also seems very heavy in body, like Chardonnay wine or even heavier than . Im investigating this one further. Last two years I've become insulin resistant thus increase on my Metformin SR and continuing!!! This type of infection can be caused by an injury like a cut or scrape. i was given ciprofloxacin 250 mgs twice aday for ten . However, I am aware of a case where a dogs horribly smelling urine was attributed to a chemo treatment while it was a severe bladder infection instead. If you have any leftover mixtures after you bathe your dog, throw it immediately. This makes them difficult for your dog to express. The ability of dogs to detect smells can lead to a wide range of strange behaviors that may appear strange to humans. Straining/crying when urinating. Excessive Hunger in Dogs: What If Your Dog Acts Like They're Starving? In this case, a fishy odor in dog urine is a big clue that they have a urinary tract infection. Multiple Dog Household Gastroenteritis: Three Housemates All get Diarrhea and Vomiting, Bulging Eyes in Dogs: When Your Dog's Bulging Eyes Are Not Normal, And You Should Be Concerned. For example, have you ever noticed your dogs urine is dark in coloror giving off a strong odor? That is when it hit you your dog is the one giving off that burnt rubber odor! Do you know what questions to ask your veterinarian? If your dog is on antibiotics for a UTI, your vet might also prescribe a strong probiotic to help repopulate those good bacterial colonies. Sometimes it can take a while to determine if the smell is coming from their urine. And if your female dogs urine smells fishy? Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog is an award-winning guide to help you better understand what your dog is telling you about their health and how to best advocate for them. They get this sensation by releasing a chemical compound known as 2-AP into their urine. The best input was by Catherine who said: We had a incident with our dog this August. This is a sign of kidney disease. For instance, asparagus could change smell of urine among other reasons like onion and garlic. Just like with babies, diapers will need to be checked and changed frequently. Hard to say! The smell will transfer from their coat to your home. The mixture may be used on a human or on a pet. I have dated two women in the past whom had the taste of burned / smoked wood. We use baby wipes to clean her up. If the cause is a UTI, the presence of bacteria in the urinary tract may also be to blame. I am even not sure it would make their urine smell bad because Jasmine did get some asparagus in her meals and Idont recall any noticeable changes in the smell of her pee. answered by dr. peter in 1 min 10 years ago. The vet said that this is just him. Do dogs with kidney failure pee a lot? Phantosmia is the medical word doctors use when a person smells something that is not actually there. Brussel sprouts. If your pooch picked up the smell from a fire, a good bath should suffice. we have never noticved this is before? Diabetes is relatively common in dogs, affecting roughly one in every 300 of them. There are so, so many different reasons for a dog to have smelly ears from lack of cleanliness, continual moisture (from swimming, perhaps), excessive hair on top of or inside the ear canal, etc. If you want to make sure that your dog is not having an allergic reaction to the skunks spray, you can always take your dog to the Vet and have him looked at. This is often a psychological issue. It might not sound like good news, but these issues arent as common as UTIs. Caffeine withdrawal occurs when you suddenly stop taking caffeine after taking it for a long time. Do you know whatquestions to ask your veterinarian? Blood in Dog Stool: Why Is There Blood in My Dog's Poop? In loving memory of Jasmine. We understand it can be scary when your dog develops a symptom of this kind. Opening windows to allow fresh air in is an effective countermeasure for neutralizing residual odors. Location. If you are concerned about the smell of your urine, please see a doctor to rule out any potential medical causes. skin infections around the vulva or prepuce. They encourage the growth of good bacteria, which will fight off any harmful bacteria that might sneak into your dogs bladder. As the waste products build-up, the dog's breath will start to smell foul and will be accompanied by other symptoms, as well. Corgophobia can cause your dog's breath to smell like burnt hair or rubber. It should be enough but it often is not. Certain conditions, however, may cause your urine to have an unusual or unpleasant odor, which may raise concerns about a problem or abnormality. Eating asparagus *if you dont think you are do you eat taco bell hot sauce a lot? Bad smell (urine may smell like burnt rubber) Allow the baking soda to sit overnight for maximum odor absorption, then vacuum it up to remove the smell completely. If your dog has a urinary tract infection, you may hear a foul odor in his urine. This burnt rubber smell maybe not only horrendous but also long-lasting if not tended to immediately. As the waste products build-up, the dogs breath will start to smell foul and will be accompanied by other symptoms, as well. I then bought a UTI med over the counter used that and it has stopped the . It doesn't have a scent when it's not being smoked. The vet will be able to make a diagnosis and treat the underlying health issue thats causing your dogs bad breath. : Change in taste and smell can have several causes, including zinc lozenges, a sinus infection, or other supplements or meds you are taking. When accidents do happen with especially potent urine, its important to clean the mess up as soon as possible. The Best Places To Put Pee Pads For Your Dog, But With A Little Patience And Consistency Most Dogs Can Be Potty Trained To Use A Soft Kennel. When a male dog pees, the external urethra that runs nearly parallel to his abdomen is more likely to end up on his front legs and chest. It will also help avoid accidents since they cant hold a full bladder any better than we can. Always consult with a licensed and credible veterinarian for pet related concerns. - Plastic or other burning smell: worn out brake pads, burned out electrical fuse, overheating A/C compressor. If they suddenly appear to have urine on themselves, it could be an indication that they are not well. However, in this case the problem probably isn't mildew. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding the medical condition of your pet. If your dog uses the restroom, he or she is most likely to produce a small amount of urine. Yeast infections This parmesan cheese, or stinky feet, odor is caused by a yeast infection that typically occurs in the ears. Verify, confirm. Normal dog urine has a distinct but not overpowering smell. You can mistake other things for smelly urine, such as: The more concentrated the urine, the stronger it will smell of ammonia. Your dogs urine is usually less than a trace amount. If your pet has dense fur, you can use this method twice or thrice as long as the smell is not completely removed. Using a good dog urine remover can do the trick. Diabetes and kidney disease can also be the cause of smelly urine and UTIs. In this case, while your dogs breath may smell like burned rubber, his entire body probably smells the same way. Of course, it might have changed, but as much as I monitor what comes out of my dogs closely, being outside and ones nose not getting THAT close, asparagus pee would likely go unnoticed. Her body is trying to send a message to nearby males that shes fertile and their keen noses can pick it up from miles away. You will notice that if you wait for a while, the burnt smell would change into the classic skunk smell, and your dog will start to smell like burnt rubber. Inflammation in the bladder, known as cystitis, typically results from a buildup of bacteria. 2. The urologist may also review your case. Breath. Why does my dog smell like a dead animal? Some people refer to this as a urine or burning rubber smell. The smell of a dehydrated dogs urine will be distinct, and it will be yellower than a hydrated one. You Have a Urinary Tract Infection. Are you taking your dog to a vetfor a wellness exam or because they're ill? Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog is a dog health advocacy guide 101. If your dog has been licking the place that was sprayed, the smell could be transferred to his mouth, too. on Stinky Urine in Dogs: Why Does My Dogs Pee Smell Bad? The smell can also be fishy. This can cause the dogs breath to smell like poop or even like burnt rubber. If a dog has to hold their pee for an extended period, it can encourage bacteria to grow and cling to the insides of the urethra. Keep an eye out for our newsletter updates to grab your part III bonus SurgeryChecklist. There are several possible causes of a strange or unpleasant odor coming from your urinary tract. So this has me wondering if she peed in the hallway because that's where she dragged the chicken. But do not fret because there is another simple DIY remedy you can make with the products you have at home. Click below to download your Veterinary Visit Checklists. Your story can help other dogs and dog parents who find themselves in the same situation. However, if the symptom persists, consult your doctor to identify the possible cause. When mixed with other substances, it can smell like cat urine, various chemicals, or even chocolate. You are now on your way to becoming a rock star of veterinary visits. Win a Free Copy of Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog. Ear mites, bacterial infections or foreign bodies that have led to festering wounds may be a problem for your dog. as an Amazon Associate Pet Dog Owner earns from qualifying purchases. Your email address will not be published. (Normal, Old & Diabetic Dogs), Golden Retriever Rhodesian Ridgeback Mix (Golden Ridgeback) Info, Pictures, & Facts, Corgi Basenji Mix (Corsengi) Info, Pictures, & Facts, Boxer Bloodhound Mix Info, Pictures, & Facts, Catahoula Beagle Mix Info, Pictures, & Facts, Akita Doberman Mix (Doberkita Inu) Info, Pictures, & Facts) Info, Pictures, & Facts, 1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution (found at any pharmacy or supermarket). Learn the facts to be carefulbut mostly to feel more at ease. In this case, wipes and baths can be helpful. Be careful not to get the solution in your dogs eyes because this may cause irritation or, worse, blindness. The smell will linger on their coat, causing it to smell. There is more to finding a good vet than finding the closest clinic down the street. Is there a chance your dog could have encountered a skunk? Share the story of tackling your dog's health challenge for a chance to win a free copy of Symptoms to Watch for in Your Dog. Keep their dish clean, full, and available at all times. One possibility is that you are dehydrated and need to drink more fluids. Urine smells like burnt rubber. Mix all the ingredients together into a bucket. Dogs generally do a good job of keeping themselves clean in that area, but sometimes they might need a helping hand. Asparagus is a big culprit for smelly urine; in fact, your pee can start smelling like asparagus just 20 minutes after you eat it. Whenever you're craving something unusual, you can take it as a hint that your body is missing something important. But using these frequently can aid in overall health and cleanliness. How To Stop Your Dog From Peeing On Power Outlets, How To Potty Train Your Dog: The Complete Guide. If you must, toss a towel over them before allowing them in, and lead them directly to the bathroom. At work we get lots of strange and different questions. Fire Ball Python Morphs: Facts And Pictures, How to Remove Dog Urine Odor from Tile Floors: A Helpful Guide, Dog Peed on My Bed in Front of Me: Heres What You Can Do, Dog Leaking Urine When Lying Down: 7 Causes and What You Can Do Now, How Long Can a Dog Go without Peeing: 7 Healthy Answers, Dog Wont Pee Outside: 9 Ways to Help and Understand Why, Dog Drinking Own Urine: 5 Causes and How to Stop It, how to clean your yard of dog urine odors. ", -D.Rae Worden, Fergus Veterinary Hospital. Fever. Dehydration is not a good thing, though, and if my dog had such concentrated urine more than once, say after a long trip or walk, Id want to take measures to keep the hydrated better.