Cable/Satellite Available, Circuit Breakers. My history is right here. Man, thats the life I want. Fortunately for him, he was one of those rare ones on whom someone decided to take a chance. In the years following his decision to set Butler free, Geller's colleagues often expressed their disapproval, believing Butler would never reform. "They'd see me with heat bumps, laughing at me," said Butler, who now owns several Burger King franchises. "Bingo!" Butler has been open about his struggles as a youth in Racine, Wisconsin. Instead of providing the financial support as a silent investor, though, Hamilton said Butler would be more hands-on. Its an all too familiar story of a young black kid surrounded by temptations, the prospect of earning quick money on the corners too appealing to pass up. . Updated January 2023: By searching, you agree to the Terms of Use, andPrivacy Policy. Back then, everyone would gravitate to the park, where Butler would always find large crowds, girls, and plenty of gang and criminal activity. His scoring average fell to 9.2 points game for the season, but Miami's balanced offense led by Wade, Odom and Eddie Jones propelled Miami into the playoffs. You try your best to do positives, do the right thing, influence kids not to go down the path you went down. The day before, a jury had found Davion Davis of Racine guilty of shooting and killing another one of Butler's friends, Robert Nellom, in May 2006 at the Two Six Two Lounge, just a few blocks from Hamilton Park. On the surface, he might have felt powerful, the glamour of the Scarface style lifestyle. Caron James Butler used to work at a Burger King now he owns six. 825 Caron Butler Dr Racine WI 53403. We didn't have nothing," said West, who was known as Little Greg. Former first-round pick Caron Butler is returning to where his NBA career began and will become an assistant coach on Head Coach Erik Spoelstra's staff. Maybe I should hit the gym to shed the holiday weight. . Rolling over in bed, he peered through the blinds to see flashing lights and armed police officers, dressed in black, approaching. Despite being raised with people like his mother, grandparents, uncles and aunts who, he said, raised him to have the values that spur him to give back, Butler spent almost a year in jail as a youth. Set along Lake Michigan's bluffs in Racine, Wisconsin, The DeKoven Center's 11-acre campus is a unique and versatile setting that offers nationally-recognized architectural treasures, gorgeous gardens, serene wooded areas and other distinctive spaces, ideal for everything from reflection to celebration. PS. West says now the drugs did not belong to Butler. Butler's mother moved the family away from trouble, to a new home in midtown on Bluff Avenue. From an early age, he saw hard work, he understood hard work, but didn't like the results. His mother married Melvin and he has younger brother Melvin III. "God puts stuff in front of you for a reason," he said. Center St Uppr Uppr. Caron Butler was born on 13 March 1980 in Racine, Wisconsin, USA. That isn't true. 825 Caron Butler Dr, Racine, WI 53403. Your complete guide to Caron Butler, including news, articles, pictures, and videos. The average price for real estate on Michigan Boulevard is $346,900. When are people going to learn? After their sophomore year they traveled to Las Vegas in 2005 and married. All participants of Caron Butler Elite are committed to prepare themselves at a highly competitive level in the classroom and in boys' basketball. Caron had a smooth pull-up jumper, and would hang on the rim one-handed after a dunk. Butler, a Racine legend, had permanently left his mark on Wilson. Then I spotted this semi-familiar face on the bench, that of Mr. Caron Butler. Butler is a two-time NBA All-Star and the 2002 Big East Conference Men's Basketball Player of the Year. He became a vital member of many teams, earning All-Star accolades, and recognized often by coaches and players for his positive attitude. School data provided by National Center for Education Statistics, Butler still keeps memories of his friends close to him, though. In the 20032004 season, however, Butler struggled with injuries that hampered him throughout the season, and he would go on to start in just 56 of 68 games. "This is going to be a great day," said Dave Mauer, executive director of United Way. Butler's favorite spot, a Mexican dive called La Tapatia, has just one table. Emotional during much of the ceremony, Butler finally broke down, openly weeping upon receiving a plaque from Becker. That's how I got introduced to the game. [2] "I said, 'I ain't got to watch my back out here.' With Butlers previous rap sheet, this was an easy bust, an open and shut case if ever there was one. No Condition report. He told Oprah in the same interview mentioned above, I remember writing my mother letters, so many letters, telling her how much I loved her and if I was to get out, I would never, ever hurt her again. 8 myths about renting you should stop believing immediately, 6 ways home buyers mess up getting a mortgage, 6 reasons you should never buy or sell a home without an agent, Difference between agent, broker & Realtor, Real estate agents reveal the toughest home buyers they've ever met, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Stay . Its no secret that Butler has purchased homes throughout the greater Racine area for various family members and that hes committed to giving back through charitable donations. But on that afternoon in January 1998, he had the power to play God with Butler's life. . He says one of the most defining moments was watching his mothers eyes as he rode away in the back of a squad car. With tears in his eyes and burns on his hands from his shift at Burger King, a despairing young man pleaded his innocence. I dont have many memories of watching Caron Butler play. Butler spoke of it saying, "God puts stuff in front of you for a reason." Despite 32 points from Butler, the Huskies lost a close game to the eventual national champion Maryland Terrapins. With Caron, all you had to do was meet him. But you know, you have to be passionate and put your heart in it because it's not about the money. I think Caron James Butler has earned the right to say, How do you like them apples?. "This will help students with FAFSA (Free Application for Financial Student Aid), and the core curriculum they need to prepare for college.". "To have your child taken away from you, it was devastating. Nearby homes similar to 700 Caron Butler Dr have recently sold between $445K to $445K at an average of $220 per square foot. Along with the drugs, they discovered an unloaded .32-caliber pistol in the locker. The Risk Factor models are designed to approximate risk and not intended to include all possible scenarios. Butler received newspapers at 3:30 each morning, delivered them and then hit the corner of 18th and Howe to sell crack before the sun rose. He secured the search warrant and organized the raid. "No strings attached.". On the day he was released from Ethan Allen in August 1996, Butler, then 16, promised his mother that he'd never do anything to hurt her again. Butler was born and raised in Racine, Wisconsin, where he suffered through a rough childhood; he was a drug dealer at age 12 and arrested 15 times before the age of 15. I couldnt see past this block right here. While money was the obvious appeal, status was an additional factor. Most homes have some risk of natural disasters, and may be impacted by climate change due to rising temperatures and sea levels. All Rights Reserved. "Jameel, he was one of the people who told me that I can't straddle," he said. Butler spent two years at MCI in tiny Pittsfield, Maine, to repair the academic transcripts damaged by his incarceration and to polish his skills on the court. Shortly after, an altercation with a fellow inmate landed Butler a 15 day stint in solitary confinement. Period." I respected him a ton for coming, to the depths of my community . [12] However, he broke his hand late in the season attempting to block a shot and was forced to sit out during the playoffs along with the injured Gilbert Arenas as the Wizards were swept in their opening round rematch versus the Cavaliers. [7] After the season ended, Butler declared for the NBA draft. He was one of the best people I've ever coached.". . See the estimate, review home details, and search for homes nearby. In 2017, he participated within Global Mixed Gender Basketball (GMGB), which is the first professional basketball league to support unified play between men and women, by being a color commentator for games. He was also carrying $20,000 in cold hard cash. But how this kid from Racine, Wisconsin got to the Association is an amazing story to say the least. That's why they call it mature. "We used to see the big dudes [drug dealers] come through, with their cars shining. Caron Butler had to tell visitors to show their respect for the Bryant Center in Racine, Wisconsin. Birth Country Racine, Wisconsin. Proof of funds and/or financing required with all offers. The average property tax on Michigan Boulevard is $10,648/yr and the average house or building was built in 1937. "They told me, 'If you get in trouble again, anything to do with narcotics again, you're taking this case, too,' " Butler recalled. [1] Butler discovered his love for basketball while at a youth detention center. Miami would again enter the draft lottery, and this time drafted Dwyane Wade before acquiring Lamar Odom from the Los Angeles Clippers. Within his first month at Ethan Allen, Butler got into an altercation with a rival gang member from back home. AS IS, seller & listing agent make no warranties or representations of any kind to the condition of property or components. And even though Butler is a professional athlete with financial means, he wants kids to know that being rich has nothing to do with giving back and being successful. Please switch to a supported browser or download one of our Mobile Apps. Growing up in Racine was anything but easy for Caron Butler but amid all the success, Butler has not forgotten where he came from. Then, for one last time, Butler went back to the streets. Geller knew of Butler's criminal past but was unaware that he was a promising athlete. No matter how debilitating some adversity may seem, Butler is quick to remind the youth that it is always possible to make a change. This home last sold for $25,000 on June 26, 2013. The Gangster Disciples, who controlled the park, made a strong recruiting pitch, demonstrating how dealing drugs yielded quick money. Soon after, Butler was a lottery pick in the NBA draft, selected tenth overall by the Miami Heat. Not only that, but he was coming to Racine, Wisconsin, an inner-city town north of Chicago that never made headlines. In The Longest Yard, Adam Sandler gets pummeled by Michael Irvin in a game of one-on-one when he attempts to recruit some brothers for his football team. But the peaceful waters couldn't match the lure of Hamilton Park, a patch of grass on 18th Street between Howe and Mead with a sparse playground that had little more than a slide, monkey bars and a seesaw. In the first round, the Heat faced the New Orleans Hornets and the two teams would battle in a grueling 7 games series in which the home team won every game. "So what I will say to any young person, when you follow me on social media, if you follow me in life, my hashtag is always 'seeing is believing' because I will tell you you can do anything," said Caron Butler, former NBA star. Sold by By Owner Realty, LLC. I dont know the back story, but I did remember Calhoun was a badass, and had benched stars like Donyell Marshall and Ray Allen to send a message. Why all the . All because he was given a chance. [25] However, he was later waived by the Kings on July 4, 2016, after he reached an agreement with the team to have his contract bought out.[26]. 600 Caron Butler Drive, Racine, WI 53403 . How many photos are available for this home? Retreats & Events. For Butler, who barely knows his father, it was another way to make amends. Now I know there are numerous stories about kids with delinquent childhoods who managed to turn things around to write their own success story. He grew up on Racine's south side, a neighborhood of decaying homes and dilapidated buildings, and played pickup basketball at a nearby community center. He got accepted at Racine Park High, where he took a four-win team to a 193 mark and a share of the division title. He bought his mother a home on Lake Michigan in the northeast section of Racine, the city Butler refuses to abandon. "He said, 'Get off these streets,' and gave it to me," Butler said of Harris. Caron Butler is now an assistant coach on the Miami Heat, a motivational speaker, and a retired professional basketball player. 1208 Caron Butler Dr, Racine, WI is a multi family home that contains 1,589 sq ft and was built in 1951. Butler provides financial support and visits them when he goes home in the offseason. . Caron Butler is a starting forward for the L.A. Lakers and a rising star in the NBA. Married to Andrea Pink (m. 2005) Famous Name Caron Butler. Butler began taking his interest in basketball seriously when he looked out his window at a basketball court at Ethan Allen Juvenile Detention. Butler has stated that he still struggles with his addiction to this day. The final time Butler got arrested was for possession of crack cocaine and an unloaded weapon. Butler, who was sidelined with a hip injury, was selected as a reserve for the East in the 2008 NBA All-Star Game in New Orleans, Louisiana but was forced to sit out. Refi. He is the eldest child of Mattie Claybrook Paden. JC, a 6-foot-5, 200-pound redshirt junior forward on the UC (University of California) Irvine men's basketball team, has faced the pressure of living up to his fathers legacy. Butler was born and raised in Racine, Wisconsin and has a background with the criminal justice system. He took courses at a technical college and took up a job at Burger King. Learn How rich is He in this year and how He spends money? [40] With wife Andrea he has three other daughters.[41]. ", His close friends noticed a change in Butler, though, after he attended the Spiece Run 'N Slam AAU Tournament at Purdue University in 1998. Caron led a double life. Butler scored 21 points with 10 rebounds in the fourth game, but the Pacers responded to win the series in 6 games. "My role models back then," Caron says, "were pimps, drug dealers." (262) 633-4421. However, the player says that his father left their family just after he was born and went to work for the Marines. Caron Butler was born on 13 March, 1980 in Racine, Wisconsin, United States, is an American basketball player. That means a lot to him.". ", Stay up to date with Caron and If convicted, Butler could have received at least 10 years in prison, maybe more given his prior record, Geller said. Your chance of being a victim of violent crime in Racine is 1 in 272 and property crime is 1 in 71. 700 Caron Butler Dr has residential zoning. When his uncles would come back from prison, they would be looked at as legends. His two other children, Camary, 12, and son, Caron Jr., 7, live in Racine. On June 21, 2016, Butler exercised his player option with the Kings for the 201617 season. Most players did not want to get in the way of this kind of movement. Also in 2017, Butler joined ESPN as full-time college basketball and NBA analyst. After Butler was sent to a juvenile institution, he began to change his life by reading Bible verses. It was from this moment I knew that I could do anything in life. Butler was able to use the situation as motivation, and his journey after will inspire. When he was re-introduced, he put his head down and went to work, and ended up with 29 points on 12 of 18 shooting as UConn destroyed UNC 8654. With a search warrant in hand, Officer Rick Geller and team stormed the house and found 15.3 grams of crack cocaine in the garage. You will never have to worry about him. Geller recalls her pulling him aside and begging him: "I promise you, if you give Caron a chance on this, you will never look back. During a 14-year career he played for the Miami Heat, Los Angeles Lakers, Washington Wizards, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Clippers, Milwaukee Bucks, Oklahoma City Thunder, Detroit Pistons, and Sacramento Kings of the National Basketball Association (NBA). number you provided, including marketing by autodialer and prerecorded and artificial voice, and A few years ago Geller's wife, Heidi, bought him an autographed picture of Butler and it now sits on his desk. What could this be about? ". Butler is a pillar in his community; so much so that June 8th has been named Caron Butler day in his hometown. 600 21st Street, Racine, WI, 53403, United States (262) 633-6401. Panicked, he did the only thing that came to mind: He pulled the covers over his head and pretended to be asleep. He also sought out his daughter, Camary, born less than a month after he was incarcerated. AS IS, seller & listing agent make no warranties or representations of any kind to the condition of property or components.